PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Charter airline visits to Leeds Bradford, 1960s and 1970s
Old 16th Apr 2018, 09:05
ATNotts

Received 304 Likes on 173 Posts
Originally Posted by Mooncrest
Just what was the big deal with b****y bulbfields fifty-odd years ago ? Must have been a flower power thing; I haven't known such a charter in my twenty-plus years at LBA. A longer runway and more capable jets may be significant here !
Clarksons used to operate these bulb field packages from pretty well every airport in the UK (aside of LHR I suspect); and they also flew similar series in the spring to Beauvais, presumably for short breaks in and around Paris.

In answer to your question, I suggest that the world was a very different place back in the 1960s and 1970s, and these destinations were pretty "exotic" for many of the customers, for whom they were probably their first excursion away from good old Blighty. Out of interest I googled bulb field holidays and cannot find a company offering packages by air on the lines of those that Clarksons used to offer - though the famous Keukenhof bulb fields that were a principal stop are still very much alive and kicking, with the likes of Shearings offering packages by coach.