View Single Post
Old 30th Sep 2003, 17:10
Tmflyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great Post, RD, Thanks for sharing

Had pleasure of flying B2A an owning/flying B2B few years ago

Agree wholeheartedly with all your observations about a real fun flying machine

A few of my thoughts.

Initially, Mr Brantly was a great engineer in his era, but compared to present day technology, the ship is kinda Jurrasic Park.
I say this while still wishing the latest efforts to produce again success.

The vertically mounted Franklin rarely makes it to 1000 hrs for a *very* expensive overhaul/replacement...less than 500 is very common

Compared to RHC components ease of maintenance and component accessability, the B2 is particularly demanding..

I offer these somewhat negative observations only to keep our euphoria of a magnificently behaving classic flying experience in realistic perspective

On a very positive note, Trade-A-Plane often has some pristine looking, flying B2s in the 35-50G price range

Finally, the reason I sold mine, was I sincerely think in modern environments, the ship is a 'be-heading' waiting to happen

If Frank R's statistics are sobering about people losing arguments and human components with his tail rotors....., just imagine how many people would not remember how low those Brantly (folding) blades really are

I had even fashioned a mini pinnacle pad at my farm heliport to make blades/ground clearance greater than average human head during loading/egressing

RD...I still have lotsa written manuals, etc, and phones for couple of *very* helpful/ knowledgeable Brantly lovers that made my brief ownership a pleasure.

Glad to share...E-M me here or R-22

Pat G
US Army ORWAC Class 65-10
N45PG Heliport 6NJ2