PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Stalling in Landing Configuration...?
View Single Post
Old 16th Apr 2018, 08:27
Sir Niall Dementia

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by horizon flyer
Hi Genghis it was back around 73 I nearly did the same thing myself in an Aerobat doing solo circuits had 40 of flap on and distracted it was only the sloppy controls that caused me to go to full power.
Phil Lucas at Ipswich and I were talking about this a long time ago, to prove his point he and I took a 152 Aerobat up and set ourselves up with half flap, low power, carb heat on, plenty of height and a left turn simulating base to finals. As the controls started to go sloppy and the aircraft began to feel unhappy Phil said "Full power now." The subsequent torque roll threw us the other way and she spun faster than I had ever seen an Aerobat spin.

All because I had told him about torque effects on a P51 I had been flying in America.

During my course at Oxford Air Training school in the depths of history we did the same exercise in PA28's. They were far more benign, but the exercise was thoroughly drummed home, stalling in a turn in the landing configuration can be evil if the recovery is mis-handled.

One of the witnesses to this https://www.gov.uk/aaib-reports/soca...-december-2003 told me that it looked like a torque roll and certainly later models of the aircraft have had serious modifications to minimise the torque effect from a sharp increase of power.

For the OP, if this was new to you I'd be asking why I wasn't taught about it during my PPL course. Its' probably not part of the PPL sylabus, but it should be, many aircraft will seriously bite in landing configuration.

SND