PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Latest information on CASA giant 40nm 5,000 foot CTAFs
Old 16th Apr 2018, 08:03
Lead Balloon

Received 425 Likes on 212 Posts
Originally Posted by andrewr
Oh S**t, how long has that been like that? 2 way communication required turns it into FAA class D equivalent.

2 way communication means you need to be communicating with ATC, and ATC needs to be communicating with you. That was supposed to be what GAAP turned into (i.e. class D) but not for class E.

To establish 2 way communication you need to contact ATC, and at a minimum have ATC respond with your callsign - according to the class D education.

It suggests that VFR aircraft currently operating in class E without contacting ATC are operating illegally.
I don’t know which bits of the AIP the Cap’n was quoting from, but GEN 1.5 says:
Aircraft must be equipped with radio communications systems capable of continuous communications according to the flight classification and airspace category. [Systems table follows]
That’s not the same as a requirement to, and I can find nothing in AIP requiring VFR aircraft to, establish comms with and receive an acknowledgement from Centre each and every time the aircraft enters E.

Doesn’t stop you saying “that’d be me” when Centre gives you as potential traffic at an unverified level for an IFR aircraft. They often appreciate verification of a previously unverified return, plus info about intentions.