PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SOP FOCM etc driven (hypothetical) Artificial intelligence pilot.
Old 15th Apr 2018, 22:10
MurphyWasRight

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SOP FCOM etc driven (hypothetical) Artificial intelligence pilot.

The recently revived 'A320 can you do auto-land overweight?' thread made me remember this question I have been pondering for a while:

Given an (obviously hypothetical at present state of the art) AI 'pilot' capable of reading and understanding all available documents, including the break rules as needed in case of emergency "prime directive".

A few questions to ponder:

Any examples of real world scenarios that a deeply experienced pilot would successfully handle that the AI 'pilot' might not?

Note "real world" in above, possibly counterintuitively, anything found in standard simulator training, even the most extreme cases would be handled perfectly since the "AI pilot" would have been trained.

How does this compare to a freshly minted minimal hours pilot?

Should/could anything change in current docs based on answers to above?

Lastly, would automatic discovery of incomplete or conflicting documentation be useful?

Note. I am not a pilot but have a deep personal interest in human factors and professional experience in automatic verification of specifications.
Just noticed FOCM/FCOM typo in title as soon as I submitted, don't think I can change that.

Last edited by MurphyWasRight; 16th Apr 2018 at 13:52. Reason: Corrected typo in title