PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Stalling in Landing Configuration...?
View Single Post
Old 15th Apr 2018, 16:42
horizon flyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
scfi As I said before this is an important exercise but approach speed is 1.3xStall which changes with load and flap setting. Not some number plucked out of the air. I think 75knts is higher than the best climb speed. So to fast. But for this exercise it is not about speed it's about stalling in the landing configuration. 30 of flap 14 to 1600 rpm and trying to fly level with speed bleeding off. The point is this will be almost straight and level flight, looks normal not some nose high configuration and when it stalls she will suddenly drop a wing. Another config that can bit is in a sideslip adding full power some Cessnas will roll on their back so fast difficult to catch always return to balanced flight before adding power. The other one not practised very often is in a nose high full power climb chopping the power the nose hast to be lowered very quickly or it will stall.

So the point is visual clues do not always warn you and speed bleeds of very quickly with the extra drag of flaps. It happens most in the final turn when the nose is not dropped a little for extra speed and the up going wing stalls.

I remember an accident at Shoreham a student pilot in the circiut was distracted by other traffic, as in landing config speed decayed quickly and he spun in, so an important exercise.