PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Amelia Earhart PNG Theory
View Single Post
Old 15th Apr 2018, 12:14
David Billings

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
propertee64

The "4 mph extra" you mean or the small variance shown either side of the Best L/D....?

The '4 mph ' would lessen the distance from HOW ...yes, say from 0800 GMT to 1912 GMT the "gap" between the Electra and Howland in the Hypothesis would lessen by 9 x 4 mph i.e; 36 miles makes a return 72 mile in distance more, "if" it was used...

The: "Range speed" being 3-4 mph more if flown also would lessen the gap in the Hypothesis... That said, the L/D Ratio does increase at altitude also, increasing speed (becomes more efficient due to lower air density)

What I have now is a HUGE MS Excel file showing the Coefficients of Lift and Drag, L/D Ratios, Total Drag values and Horsepower required all in the one file and set for AUW's from 15000 lbs down to 8000 pounds in increments of 100 pounds for each of the Cl, Cd, L/D, Drag and H.P. Required and at all speeds from 75 to 200 mph in 5 mph increments. The file was built at Sea Level but values for all the subjects at any speed or weight or height can be obtained by the setting of the Air Density, thereby giving "a figure for each" of the values required for S.L. and 1000', 7000', 8000', 10000' and 12000' altitudes flown.

I am already in trouble because the speeds for Best Lift/Drag on the sector LAE to CHOISEUL are way too fast to accommodate the 0518 GMT transmission giving the Lat/Long over Choiseul for instance, meaning that if best Lift Drag is used early in the flight and continues, then arrival at NUKUMANU and the ONTARIO will also be "too early". Being as the only "near accurate" PR was the 1030 GMT call on seeing ship in sight ahead , made on an "unscheduled" transmission time, that location and time has to be held if any attempt at tracing a credible Hypothetical sequence of the flight is made.

I am already beginning to think that my very early workings from over ten or fifteen years ago that the wind over the Ontario was higher than thought (at 35 mph) may well be correct. The ONTARIO was recording 20 knots at S.L which does not bode well for 10,000 feet or higher.

It is a huge conundrum....due to the "unknowns".... heaps of patience is required and a packet of Panadol.....

Never mind... we have the Factual side.