PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Stalling in Landing Configuration...?
View Single Post
Old 15th Apr 2018, 08:52
Genghis the Engineer

Received 48 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by scifi
Hi Genghis, thanks for the details from FAR-24 Sec 23-201... So they say it is stalled if we hold the stick back for at least 2 seconds... Well I suppose I did that, but nothing happened in the same way that a PA38 would have responded.
Indeed, they're completely different types, with different handling.

Over the years I've seen stall defined by...

- Full back stick and high rate of descent
- Pitch break
- Incipient spin with no warning
- Pitch break with wing drop
- Roll inverted (that was somewhat unacceptable and we did have to do something about that).
- Increasing amplitude wing rock

All of those I'm happy to have defined as "the stall", the levels of acceptability did vary somewhat. It just happens that the C172 in most configuration / CG combinations does the first.

Which, incidentally is one of the reasons I rate the C172 as one of the worst training aeroplanes readily available - a training aeroplane should teach rather more respect for the aircraft, and particularly the low speed range than the 172 does. You may recall FAA, EASA and CAA half a dozen years ago evangelising about how schools should NOT be teaching powering out of a stall without pitch inputs. That was, in my opinion, significantly because they were teaching in one of two types (the tapered wing PA28s being the other) which are so benign you can get away with that.

G