PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Latest information on CASA giant 40nm 5,000 foot CTAFs
Old 15th Apr 2018, 04:37
Centaurus

Received 18 Likes on 6 Posts
ATSB has continually refused to give the pilot a copy of the transcript of his communication to the tower on that day?
A warning from personal experience at Alice Springs many years ago. An incident report was filed by myself which resulted in me being blamed by BASIS.CAA? . The Departmental investigator provided "proof" by way of a written copy of tape transcripts between myself in a Departmental F27 engaged on navaid testing, an Ansett B727 in the circuit, and ATC.

On reading the paper transcripts furnished by the investigator I realised that whoever did the transcription from the ATC tapes had little idea of R/T language and had included words which I had certainly never made but which he thought I made and which in turn completely changed the meaning of what actually happened.

For example one written transcript showed the words as "Are we clear?"
However the ATC tape showed I said "Airways Clearance."

There were other "fake words" written in the transcript wrongly interpreted by whoever did the transcript from the ATC tapes.

My advice from that experience is that a pilot undergoing a grilling for a perceived violation, where evidence is produced by way of a written transcript from ATC or other sources, should demand to listen to the actual tape recording, rather than meekly accept what someone has transcribed to paper.

Last edited by Centaurus; 15th Apr 2018 at 04:47.