PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - whats the difference between airbus/boeing?
Old 29th Nov 2000, 04:07
AiryFairy

On the subject of yoke versus side-stick, I found that I became used to the handling of the the side stick in short order.
There is no real logic in having a large intrusive object between your legs - if you catch my meaning. Once you have the arm rest positioned ok the side stick is perfectly comfortable and instinctive. BUT

There is a problem, albeit soluble, and especially for people who have alot of hours who are converting, in that there are these things called 'control laws'. These are the problem and the solution would be much easier if Airbus took alot more trouble in explaining them;instead of sort of insinuating that anyone who is a little puzzled at first is some kind of blinkered stick-in-the-mud.

I have no problem with side sticks having got used to them. I do wonder though why Airbus went to all the bother of developing 'Normal' and 'Alternate' law when 'Direct' law was perhaps all that was necessary.

I do think that people who say things like 'Airbus Always' or 'Not Boeing - Not Going' are a little puerile.

As I said on another post, consider the following:-

Pilot - Computer - Aeroplane

Computer - Pilot - Aeroplane

Which is the safer? It makes for a good discussion at least.