PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Letter from Greg Hughes (Service Delivery Mgr) to HKAOA
Old 14th Apr 2018, 07:13
Liam Gallagher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I suspected they were shrinking the task, but again I don't see it. Shrinking the task is the only realistic explanation, unless we accept management's assertions there's indeed no pilot shortage.

The 4th LAX and 5th LHR were always marginal in terms of load, so I am not surprised they get cancelled on occasion. However, I still see the daily flights going daily and the double daily going double-daily. We don't see a Ryanair scenario where flights are cancelled and money is returned and a public outcry occurs. If the task Is being shrunk, it must be on flights that are not heavily booked.

As for the notion of hiding information from the shareholders, 85% of the shareholders are Swire, Air China and Qatar. Given the people who would be doing the hiding are Swire employees and Air China has their people on the Board and Qatar is a competitor, I cannot see how anything can be hidden from them. The managers/BoardShareholders are really the same people (left hand hiding from right hand).

If they are indeed shrinking the task to match the number of pilots, then it must be assumed they believe it is a better economic solution than putting money in the table. If that decision has been made, then a pilot shortage gives us no leverage, which again supports the idea of hesitating to enter negotiations.

There is of course another explanation and that is the Company is playing the long game and is just trying to wear us down and they can see the Chairman and half the GC are near the end of their 2 year term and has sensed the GC is fatigued to the extent the GC is prepared to entertain a limited wealth-redistribution type deal. A follow on from the HPE debacle, which again was a GC coming near the end of their term.

Perhaps Brokeidiot is not such an idiot and perhaps it's time the members gave the GC some clear guidance... No concessions.....