PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways FO Short Haul Roster?
View Single Post
Old 14th Apr 2018, 06:53
wiggy

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Blimey.. the OP’s question started something!!!!!

To help the onlookers seeing this spat as another reason for not joining BA/BA is full of****** can I risk offering my ex-mil, 15 years RHS then right to left, no short-haul, POV of the top few pages of two Long Haul Status lists:

The vast majority of time served guys in the Long Haul RHS work hard, are darned good, and have a heck of a lot of world wide route and tech knowledge.

A small majority offer all the above skills but rather than giving the impression they are working hard they actually make it look so easy and low key it’s sickening to the mere mortals amongst us. Now I know that sometimes rubs sensitive folk up the wrong way both in CRC and on the crew bus, especially if they witness bike box, wind surfer or golf clubs being carried, and I am sure that leads to the “off on their holidays again ” train of thought but those individuals also put the effort in.

Then there are a few who are staying in the RHS for perhaps compassionate/family/domestic/age reasons, but regardless of the why they can and usually do still fit into one of the above groups....and then, sure, there are perhaps some who are marginal when it comes to effort at the office but, fortunately and IMHO, it is a vanishingly small number..

To stay employed all the above are passing line checks, sim checks, etc.....

It might not be helpful but I have to make this comment: There is perhaps also a danger of some “pot to kettle” creeping into this debate. There are still one or two (less than it used to be; it will be that sort of number) at the top of short haul/mid-haul P1 lists who either really don’t like sleeping anywhere other than their own bed, don't like time zone changes, or simply won’t move to Long haul until they have the seniority to have a decent choice in monthly bidding...all life style reasons. Aren’t they also guilty of “bed blocking” by not immediately moving to somewhere more commensurate with their seniority number?

Sorry I see this has turned into a long post...so that’s all I want to say about that..

Last edited by wiggy; 14th Apr 2018 at 09:43.