PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - S92 "unexpected control responses"
View Single Post
Old 13th Apr 2018, 20:59
Jimmy.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by chance it
So the reason this accident happened is down to the crew and their training ?? How do you train pilots and program simulators for something that’s not supposed to happen ? That bearing could give up in a variety of different ways and of course at any flight phase.

Unless Sikorsky can assimilate all the TRPCS event data and confirm that they all failed in exactly the same way and same time frame I don’t see how you can ‘train’ for this event .There are a million different ways a helicopter can have mechanical failure that leads to loss of Main and/ or Tail rotor control ...e.g MR Servo bolt failure or Scissor bearing failure (See recent Sikorsky Safety advisory).Why don’t Sikorsky actually FIX the TRPCS bearing problem ....? Because they still have no root cause for the failure.

In the meantime we are all ‘happily’ flying around in them because HUMS ‘might’ pick up on it 😂. Ironic that the 225 is canned because of as yet no proof of root cause meanwhile we are happy to accept this issue on the S92 when the manufacture has done nothing to resolve it. Personally I can’t see why this thread has descended in to a ‘Crew fault/Crap training/‘snot nose’ debate , surely we should remember we are all human and that this crew in the end saved everyone on board and potentially another Facebook campaign to ‘keep the N.Sea 92 free’.
I think we may be comparing apples and oranges here. The report is clear about the human error on interpreting the HUMS data (available the night before the accident). Now, a HUMS download and analysis is made after each flight. Despite the gravity of a TR control failure, it was detectable (4.75hrs and the full left pedal) and quite different than loosing the MR without warning.

Last edited by Jimmy.; 13th Apr 2018 at 21:41. Reason: Typo