PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PPL NAV cockpit calculations
View Single Post
Old 13th Apr 2018, 12:50
hugh flung_dung

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Old,not ...: I think we're in sync, I just didn't want people to get the idea that MDR was complicated, or that nasty sums were needed, or that they need to understand the 1:60 stuff to use MDR.

I prefer 6 minute marks (rather than distance marks) because the distance is just 1/10th of groundspeed and it's easy to look at the clock and then straight to the approximate position on the line. Of course, in reality they don't turn out to be 6 minute intervals but after the first couple you know they are 5'30", or whatever, and that's just as good. It's even reasonable to mark them at 1/10th of TAS and then to modify based on observed intervals with actual head/tailwind - but I wouldn't expect a pre-PPL stude to be able to do that.

(SE to Sharjah means you must be fairly bold, despite your tag ;-) )

OP: nav is an attitude of mind. Learn 1:60 to pass the exam, learn to visualise how things will look from the air so you can see them, and then use the simple MDR techniques for practical Nav. Do not buy gadgets. Use GPS as an aid and not as a master. Always do a gross error check after setting heading. Lookout!

Here endeth the sermon ;-)
HFD