PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PPL NAV cockpit calculations
View Single Post
Old 13th Apr 2018, 12:07
old,not bold

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
HFD I bow to your greater knowledge.

I should shut up, really; this is a person who, on 3 consecutive days a long time ago, landed at Le Touquet in the dark (SRA) with 90 hours and no Night Rating having set off from LGW much later than planned, followed that on the next day by landing at Orange military (very pretty red flares) instead of Orange civil which had just cleared me to land (there was an active thunderstorm over both) and then to complete the hat-trick on the next day crossing the threshold at Fuimicino in the belief that it was Ciampino, and then - realising my mistake - flying to Ciampino at about 500 ft AGL for 15 NM/10 minutes to turn onto final and land.

I seem to remember using the "double the error" correction a lot; I had a pretty little circular protractor with two arms which enabled a better estimate of track error than the eyeball. But on a 1:500,000 map in a slow aircraft, both of which I used all the way to Sharjah, you had to give it a bit of time to get a good position fix.

One of the most useful tips I used was to always draw the planned route on the map, and then mark off every 10-miles, with the total miles from departure shown. Provided you flew the planned course, this, plus the clock, provided an immediate position +/- a mile or two, and a check against gross error. (I did try doing it in minutes, but the wind usually made that unreliable.) Of course GPS has made all that stuff history, until it stops working. And I haven't seen a GPS that will tell you what heading to fly to get back on track and counter the drift. But I bet someone will tell me there is one.

Last edited by old,not bold; 13th Apr 2018 at 12:27.