PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Auto pilot use
Thread: Auto pilot use
View Single Post
Old 30th Sep 2003, 09:25
robmac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Now where were we......
400 hour pilot, building hours, flying rubber dog sh1t out of nowhereville in a twin piston cessna.

Piston, turbo, need to be babied, full manual, six levers (rigged not to sit flush at the same settings) and two cowl flap levers (in guaranteed to induce dis-orientation place).

Autopilot last serviced in 1977, unusual personality, has mind of its own...best used only in VMC, so you can catch it when it disconnects at an inappropriate moment...

Co-pilot....absent again...

Paper charts, dim lights, no GPS, only one operational VOR, no DME, AI sits 2 deg off level when wings level, need to remember that in IMC to avoid constant course corrections

IMC, no radar (of any sort), unintelligable ATC, rain (lots of it) popping circuit breakers, try to sort the problem from memory while keeping the A/C right way up, left bus bar disconnects again dammit !!!, I wish those engineers would fix the 30 year old electrics properly, fuel and engine guages not working now...start doing complex fuel calculations in head...

Start humming... three wheels on my wagon......

Sorry, just a brief foray in to the world of the low hours time building pilot, now that i am back in big boy reality land, please tell me that one about 21st century automated multi crewed jets being dangerous to hand fly ??