PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A Little Gem from CASA Experts
View Single Post
Old 12th Apr 2018, 21:30
Lead Balloon

Received 419 Likes on 209 Posts
The point is, there are rich and lean mixtures. it is incorrect to say “all mixtures are lean”, which was what I was responding to.
The only mixtures that you can achieve on a conforming engine are lean. To put the concept another way, the only mixtures that can sustain combustion are lean of a F:A ratio of 1:0 (I.e. Pure fuel). Peak EGT happens to be a very useful reference. But I suspect we're disagreeing merely on terminology rather than substance.

You don’t know precisely where each cylinder is. The assumption is that the leanest cylinder is within 25F of the indicated EGT when using the thermocouple on the collecter. The recommended best power setting for the engine is 50ROP so that is where our minimum 75ROP.
That's a big assumption.

My engine has the original CHT gauge as well as the EDM. The original gauge rarely shows above the bottom of the green range. Meanwhile, on the other side of the engine at the front, my hottest cylinder is much, much hotter.

Some serious questions:

Have you ever looked at plots of CHT and ICP against mixture?

If yes, do you believe them or disbelieve them?

If you believe them, why would you be unconcerned about the prospect of cylinders running 50F ROP?

If you disbelieve them, why?

Have you ever had a problem with a cylinder before TBO? i.e. Needing work on the valves or outright replacement due cracks etc?

Rod: Nobody from APS said what you allege. Find a quote and post it, or shut up.

Last edited by Lead Balloon; 12th Apr 2018 at 21:46.