PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A Little Gem from CASA Experts
View Single Post
Old 12th Apr 2018, 19:33
Connedrod

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by A Squared
I'm not following your description there, can you try again? I'm always willing to learn something new, but to be honest, I can't figure out what you're trying to say here.

Possibly. Certainly a good quality protractor will measure the angle well enough for the accuracy required ( +/- 1 degree) a cheaper protractor can have a scale that hard to read accurately, and if it rubs anywhere the friction may prevent the pointer from being perfectly vertical.
In real world you dont use this method.

As the piston moves upward it will come to a point were the piston will no longer move. Will call this X. The crank will still move in the same diection with no movement of the piston.
To be completely accurate that position needs to be set with a dial indicator. Normally any probe you can feel it.
Set your zero on both indication devices

Continue the movement till the piston moves downward.

Now reverse the the diection of the crank.
Now note where the the same in reverse as above. Call this X2

Half the difference X-X2

You have X1

This is tdc

Like i said normally just a probe in the plug hole as vertical as you can get it to the plug hole. But as these aps clowns go you should use a dail indicator.
Then you can charge them extra for the time to set up.

I also note they havent said how often you should get your edm calibration done as they running so close to the wind and expect complete accuracy with every thing maintenance dose.

Possibly. Certainly a good quality protractor will measure the angle well enough for the accuracy required ( +/- 1 degree) a cheaper protractor can have a scale that hard to read accurately, and if it rubs anywhere the friction may prevent the pointer from being perfectly vertical.[/QUOTE]