PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying in Queensland
View Single Post
Old 30th Sep 2003, 07:33
Chimbu chuckles

Grandpa Aerotart

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think you will find that all the strips on the sand islands (Fraser, Moreton,Stradbroke) are soft and some are quite short. Certainly Redcliffe Aeroclub, where I keep my Bonanza, has restrictions on operating club aircraft into the strips on Moreton Island, a check flight being a prerequisite and even then some charge steep landing fees.

I took a 172rg into Orchid Beach years ago but was politely asked to leave as it was a private strip. Things may have changed. The is no strip at Eurong Beach that I'm aware of...certainly not marked on any charts.

But to wet your appetite last weekend I took a mate and his son and we went for a fly out of YRED down the coast to Broadbeach then inland to YBAF, spent some time at the Warbirds hangar then back to YRED to do some circuits so my mate can fly my aircraft. We saw probaby 30-40 Dugong on the shallow sand banks inside Moreton, numerous Dolphins and some big rays on the ocean side of North Stradbroke and a pod of 6 Humpback whales playing just outside the surfline about halfway down Nth Stradbroke Is.

SE QLD....Beautiful one day, perfect the next!!!

Chuck.