PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Meteor Accidents - 1953
View Single Post
Old 12th Apr 2018, 14:55
Treble one

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Atrix
I believe that a T7, WA654 may have been the last Meteor to be lost in 1953. This was taken up for an engine test by my father Flt Lt R.F. Fisher on New Year’s Eve 1953 at Manby. The a/c suffered an engine fire and he lost his life – although an Airman with him on an air experience flight was saved.
I’ve been searching for a photo of WA654 for some years without success.I have the MOD report on this incident and it is accessible at Kew – it makes interesting reading with regard to asymmetric flight characteristics and abandoning the T7 etc.
A former Meteor pilot who I knew, with experience on several marks (including two seaters T7, NF versions IIRC) told me that the rumour going around at the time was if you pulled the jettison canopy handle when attempting to abandon the aircraft, that very heavy canopy had a very good chance of decapitating both occupants!

Not fun as of course no bang seats in the two seat marks....Indeed he and his 'Nav' had a pact that they wouldn't tell their wives that there were no Martin Baker facilities available (He had previously flown the F.8 where there were I believe). Their wives only found out by accident many years later.

Last edited by Treble one; 12th Apr 2018 at 15:07.