PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The perpetual 'Am I too old?' thread
View Single Post
Old 12th Apr 2018, 12:48
huseyydemm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

I am 38.. flying for not more than a year..... I think it is never too late to start something new,
I think if you are not happy, don't waste years with something you do not really like. You will regret it. And time will pass extra sloooooow this time.
However cabin crew is a dream job, flying a plane is heaven, really.

Just fly!!!

Nowadays its easier... theoretical and practical course, home learning, simulator games, flying applications, forums to ask other pilots and everything helps us to become good (better) pilots. Before was "only" the instructor and the book.
So you are not alone! we help you from far

Originally Posted by coboltblue
Hey guys,

I知 just looking for a little advice. My situation is as follows

I知 currently 15 months through a 3-year course to become a Merchant Navy Deck Officer, I love the navigation side of the course. Having been to sea once already I have however realized I知 just not passionate about shipping or the ships themselves.

I worked in the airline industry before as cabin crew in the UK and the Middle East, then planned roster for a low-cost carrier in Australia. I have always loved the Airline Industry, but it has taken being involved in another transportation sector to make me realize planes, airports, and hotels are my home, and a taste of navigation to make me dream of moving from the cabin to the cockpit.

My issue is I知 36 years old and I値l be almost 39 by the time I finish my Merchant Navy Cadetship.

The ways I see it is I have 2 options

1: Finish the cadetship and try to get a job onboard a ship as an Officer and uses the cash and time off to get my fATPL.

2: Quit now and use the cash I saved in the middle east to go get my license and try to get back into an Industry I know and love doing a job I aspire to.

I'm looking to book my first flying lesson, to get the ball rolling.

Any advice would be great.