PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas Recruitment
View Single Post
Old 12th Apr 2018, 12:13
Transition Layer

Received 88 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by DirectAnywhere
That's not fair. I have paxed on the flight deck once or twice.

I was fortunate enough to take my first promotion in QF after 18 months when such a thing was possible.

As an F/O I am tired, however, of hearing Captains, who were widebody Captains in their late 20s or early 30s, lecture 40 y/o S/Os about why they're living their lives all wrong from an exalted seniority position some 1700 numbers above. One of these Captains recently had the audacity to pull out his iPad and start showing his S/O photos of the multi-million dollar holiday shack he was building and then wondered why they weren't interested.

These S/Os have children in their teens, well established in schools, and wives who work and have careers of their own and Captain X thinks they should up sticks and move to become an F/O, work more and take a pay cut.

These guys are utterly tone deaf to think that such advice is warranted or welcome. They have no idea what the world looks like from a S/O spot after the lost decade and should be sensible enough to keep their thoughts and ideas to themselves or maybe, having seen the consequences of the RIN first hand, I'm just a little more empathetic than others.

Apologies for the thread drift.
For new hires or those with young kids, the lifestyle and job satisfaction on the 737 is surely better than the S/O gig. Sounds like your circumstances are a bit different though and I totally understand why some guys aren’t interested in the 737 after many cushy years in the back seat.