PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Has the glamour gone...
View Single Post
Old 11th Apr 2018, 21:03
stoatsbrother

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PA28161
There is no glamour in medicine, take it from me. Especially in hospital work; abusive patients and relatives, intransigent hospital managers, et al. GP work is boring unless you can get into private medicine. The NHS is badly broken so if any of you disgruntled airline pilots feel like a change of career, re-train as a doctor (if you're still in your twenties and have good A-level grades), or maybe an RGN or some ancillary medical job. I guarantee you'll want to be back flying commercially again pretty quickly. Several of my colleagues left GP work to train as commercial pilots and seem to be happier than at any time when they were practising medicine. I fly for pleasure and the day job is medicine: I know what I'd rather do but for me now it's too late. My dream of being an airline pilot is now lived out through my son who is an FO with a major carrier and who turned down a place at Uni to study medicine because he wanted to achieve his dream
Never posted here before, and lurked for many many years. But I feel forced too by this post... I’m a happy, intelligent, satisfied GP. I get involved in people’s lives, and make a real difference to them and do some proper high level medical stuff. I’m living my best life, coming to the end of a career I don’t regret and I’d encourage others into. And I’ve got friends who are satisfied hospital Drs too.

I have enough friends and acquaintances who are pilots to know that aviation isn’t always brilliant either. But who obviously love it still. If I hated my day job I’d walk, and perhaps some on this thread should think about where they are. Live is too short. YOLO etc... And patients and passengers don’t need people who hate their job.

The glamour has gone from almost everything, but there’s still fun to be had. In aviation and medicine we are no longer little tin gods, but there is still some respect, status and the prospect of a decent life.

Anyway. Back to you Professionals. I’ll tiptoe away...

Last edited by stoatsbrother; 11th Apr 2018 at 21:43.