PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - When are you allowed to put your hand back on thrust levers after V1?
Old 11th Apr 2018, 16:57
LEM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In the beginning of aviation, there was no V1.

Then they realized a V1 was needed. Good.

But why to remove one's hand, if only for increased awareness about commitment to go, as some say?
Answering "Checked!" would be enough.

But no, you MUST REMOVE your hand from there!

Why?
Because it' dangerous.

Countless accidents have happened because the captain initiated a reject beyond V1.

Either because:
A wrong decision.
An instinctive reaction in panic or whatever.
A heart attack or similar.

The captain of a BOAC Trident suffered one, and the takeoff was rekected when just airborne.... all dead.
Or, the captain of a Garuda DC10 rejected after V1 because eng2 exploded... 150 deads....

And the list is very long.

It is nowadays universally accepted that the ***** hand must be removed at V1 because leaving it there IS DANGEROUS!

Why is it so dangerous?

Because the mishap is NOT REVERSIBLE at low altitude.

Now, if it is true that the hand MUST be removed, the question is:

WHEN CAN I PUT IT BACK THERE?

Isn't it ridiculous to remove it at V1 and put it right back after a couple of seconds, as many do?

How come nobody in aviation culture has raised this matter so far???

I get scared when my FO put their hand there during rotation right after I've removed mine!
(When I see that, I promptly put mine back again behind theirs to guard from a catastrophic mishap!!!)

This thing is written nowhere, so I can't blame them.

I can only blame the general lack of insight.

Now, as it is also universally agreed to take no action below 400ft in case of failure, BECAUSE A POSSIBLE MISHAP WOULD NOT BE REVERSIBLE, I suggest to use the same value as the earliest time when one can put his hand back on the thrust levers, as a mishap would then be reversible.

Once again, and to all my fella, I DONT WANNA SEE ANY HAND THERE BELOW 400 feet during takeoff!!!

On the contrary, putting your hand there is a MUST during the approach, and even during taxi!!! (see the Pegasus Trabzon accident for what can happen during taxi....)