PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wartime (WWII) RAF airfield research:-
View Single Post
Old 11th Apr 2018, 10:09
Tiger_mate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wartime (WWII) RAF airfield research:-

In the hope that there are a few WWII RAF veterans gracing these pages. I write in the hope of acquiring important (to me) information before such memories are lost forever. It concerns what servicemen all take for granted; the camouflage of RAF airfields and vehicles. I have myself witnessed the physical evidence on RAF hangars of what appeared to be black paint on brick or render. I am told that it was actually very dark green. Regarding MT, I know the pre WWII RAF vehicles were all air force blue in colour - to be painted at the outbreak of war with the exact same drab paint as the hangars. MT resuming the air force blue colour scheme approximately 1947 and acquiring yellow tops for airside MT.

To confuse the issue; I have seen colourised former black & white photographs in which the hangars are green and black camouflage with no evidence of plain brick or the beige of render. I have also seen both beige and green and also black and green camouflage depicted on buildings such as an ATC tower. I know the RAF are/were a bit pedantic on standardisation, and assume that the variations are born of a lack of research creating a distortion of the truth over a period of time.

I am in the process of painting this wartime PRU Mosquito scene, and I do not want to add to the distribution of erroneous information. I believe that the hangar windows were painted over which will come on my painting in time. If anybody has first hand recollections appropriate to my project; I would appreciate very much hearing about them. TIA

Note: I now know that berets were not introduced until 1953 for ground tradesmen - I will change it!