PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATCO Shortage UK
View Single Post
Old 10th Apr 2018, 21:15
30W

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gents,

I’ve read this thread with interest. As a KK based pilot, and have spent many many hours at Shanwick/LATCC over the past 30 years can I make the following observations from my own pilot perspective.

Firstly KK DIR has closed several times for a few hours deep in the night for staff shortage. NATS has always scheduled the controller breaks/closures as so not to impact any scheduled operations. Unlike the summer season Ops they can get away with this without any impact on customers, airlines/passengers. I recognise other issues that effect ATCO availability in the winter - training/refresher requirements. EXCDS is an exceptional change this winter for training needs and hence off watch time, shortages at times are to be expected.....

Clearly if KK issues of night staff shortage hit summer ops the impact and airline reaction would be far more severe and I’m sure we all hope this won’t be the case.

As to working hours, a plea....

You folks are a safety net to myself and my passengers. A much respected safety net in my case. We are all under growing pressure. Some of my shifts are in excess of 13 hours under allowable extensions eg. UK - Egypt and back. They are shifts without a break or relief, and on return to UK you are my extra eyes and ears looking after and supporting me. Earlies seem to get continuously earlier - 0600L departures now the norm meaning 0500 reports at latest and awakening times of 0330ish (Earlies or nights?). I’ve regularly left UK airspace before your AM shifts even arrive to commence shift. The middle of the night start again is draining, and the couple of hours earlier awakening does have an effect on human performance overtime. Again, you are my extra ears, supervision and safety net.....

The plea, please don’t do extra hours without break. I need you awake, alert and switched on. YOU are an important extra safety net I hopefully don’t rely on, but definitely need. Protect your own profession, safety and licences and hence maintain your own current high standards!

30W