PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Memories of RAFG
View Single Post
Old 10th Apr 2018, 20:41
ricardian

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Latest update from Lee Hammond:

1. The CWGC has to work withing specifications laid down by MoD. Because Rheindahlen is not a "War cemetery" it obviously if not near the top of the priorities list like Mons, Ypres etc. This I find fully understandable.
2. There are no staff at this cemetery and the gates are opened & locked by a representative. The gardens are the responsibility of a local professional contractor who understandably does not work during the winter months.
3. They are aware of the damaged headstones. Currently they are responsible for over 1.8 million graves. Each year thousands of these headstones have to be replaced due to damage or age. The damaged ones at Rheindahlen are on the list for replacement but obviously this takes time.
4. The damaged trinkets etc at some of the graves are the result of the winter storms. For legal reasons CWGC cannot remove these items without permission. They can only shift them if they are classed as offensive in nature.
5. All the green had amassed since last September due to the adverse weather, that I can relate to as we had an awful winter as well.
Finally, the CWGC were made aware of things even before I threw my toys out of the cot. A complaint was made to MoD more than a week ago (person unknown to me). Last Thursday the initial Spring clean up was completed and looking at the photographs sent to me it looks to have vastly improved the situation. I can't post these photos as they were sent to me in word document form (but take my word for it, things look better}.
I am hoping that once Vera has visited tomorrow she can confirm all is well.
Both Elaine & myself are feeling much reassured and would like to thank everybody for their help. Also thanks to CWGC for being so understanding to our concerns.