PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Getting ready for EASA ME/IR
View Single Post
Old 10th Apr 2018, 18:31
rudestuff

Received 43 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by AA5 Flyer
Sorry to butt in on the thread but was just wondering how you’d go about doing the CBIR as part of the fATPL? Surely you’d still need an ME-IR?

I’m guessing you could get credit towards the ME-IR but interested in how you’d do it all for £4000.

Cheers
Sure. To be fair I picked those numbers out of the air so it's probably a bit more than that, but the principle is sound:

1: A CPL requires 200 hours TT. If you're daft enough to do the CPL first, you'll then have to do at least 15 hours for the IR, meaning you finish with 215 hours. If you do the IR first, you finish with 200 hours.

2: If you do a full IR course, expect to do 40 hours on the SIM and 15 multi. Typical cost is £14000.
If you do an IR(R)/IMC followed by 20 or so hours IFR hour building, it'll cost you maybe £600 in instructors fees (because you need the hours anyway) in either case, you'll need to do the MEP course content, so that cancels out. A CBIR can be done in 10 hours multi - around £4000. Call it £5000 total.

Basically because you are doing the whole IR in the air, you save on hour building. You also save on multi engine time.
A lot of people don't understand that a CBIR done in a multi is still an MEIR - it's exactly the same flight test. It's just a different route. (Modular-modular of you like). If you have ATPL passes, there are no restrictions.