PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATCO Shortage UK
View Single Post
Old 10th Apr 2018, 15:55
good egg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have never, ever been asked/told by any manager to work beyond SRATCOH, or indeed to encourage anyone to work beyond it.

Form SRG1410(?) would have to be completed for any such occurrence. This, I’m certain, would prompt more regulator action than a contracted service which has to curtail operations due to unexpected short-staffing.

Every airport knows what staffing levels are provided by the ANSP, and what the possible available cover is. Each airport will have its own view on what is reasonable cover during the day and night, and will negotiate contracts to suit.
It’s relatively simple analytics.

However, analysis rarely takes into account morale.

I’m not saying this is the case here btw. I’m merely saying that morale has an effect on an ATCOs willingness to go into work when not 100% - whether rightly or wrongly. What is “fit for work”? 100%, 99%, 98%, 97%, 96%....
(What effect does it have on my colleagues if I do/don’t go to work?)

Morale also affects an ATCO when considering if he/she wants to be available for an additional attendance. The terms of additional attendances may, or may not, suit, depending on the ATCO’s circumstances.

Mostly it’s figure-out-able, but, when there are unit issues (again, I’m not saying that is the case here) then cover may not be available.

Contracts are awarded on a number of parameters - which are all scored differently by the airport customer.
The airport trades off the differences (costs/benefits) of each tender and selects the most appropriate according to the overall package.

Occasional “bad press” is a reality of any business. Every business owner knows that bad reviews require many more adequate/good reviews to compensate. The audience is important too. What suits one set of clientele (cost), will not suit another set of clientele (service).
Airports are getting better and better at assessing and serving their main audience - whether that’s value-for-money, value-for-service, or a mixture of both.

The black and white of financial figures (sadly) often determines the outcome when it comes to determining which ANSP to go for. It doesn’t necessarily reflect on the ethos, and morale, of any unit and its personnel.