PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bankstown History and Nostalgia
View Single Post
Old 10th Apr 2018, 12:43

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My time at Bankstown

My grandfather worked during WW2 at de Havilland's when they were producing the Mosquito.
I recall be taken to the airport as a child by my Uncle and checking out a Bristol Freighter and that memory sticks.
Personally I have worked on both sides of the airport putting in time at Hawker de Havilland, Jack Brabham Aviation and Nationwide AirServices.
Some of my memories are of watching in awe as the Illawarra target towing Mustangs where powering up and taking off. I also remember watching as attempts were made to start one of the Mustangs and seeing those lazy flames curling around the Merlin's exhaust stubs while the man in the cockpit could be seen furiously working to get the beast going properly!
Any time the Mustangs were brought out work stopped while all around went and watched!
I also recall Keith Whitbread's immaculate Mustang VH-IVI and watching as he did a promo flight for one of the TV channels for an Air Race and watching the included strip beat up whilst enjoying to that fabulous Merlin music
Also having Arnold Glass's Sea Fury in the Brabham hangar - the rest of the hangar occupants were certainly dwarfed by this beast!
I recall hearing the crash sirens and every one rushing out of the hangars to check out what was happening!
I remember the Piper Cub floatplane which was still in Japanese markings after being used in "Spy Force" filming when the it was in the Brabham Hangar.
I recall the Piaggio's seemingly struggle over "Black Charlie's Hill" (probably not PC these days!) towards Bankstown.
Later memories include the disbelief at the demise of VH-IVI and Keith Whitbread.
The recovery of the East West F27 following the accident at Bathhurst and the repair of the Nomad prototype that had the landing incident after a dual engine flame out!
Doing a short course when the Crash Sirens went following the mid-air over Bass Hill and the shock as we had just heard the distinctive sound of our Beechcraft 56TC VH-SUV taking off immediately prior as we all knew it was doing a test flight following engine issues.
I recall the shock at the tragic loss of the other Nomad during test flight out of Avalon as we knew those involved!

Sadly I have observed the demise of Bankstown Airport over nearly 60 years, some from afar, to it's present state and lament the current state of General Aviation and the impotency of the regulator!