PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Has the glamour gone...
View Single Post
Old 10th Apr 2018, 10:12
RAT 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The 'glamour' discussion seems to have centred on 'the job'. i.e. the time spent sitting with an aluminium tube strapped to your backside. That hasn't changed much. T's & C's have been eroded, true; FTL's have made it less appealing, certainly multi-sector short-haul. Captain's status/authority/respect has been eroded in many companies. There was the time when you walked in an office, people looked up, said hello and listened to what you said. Now expect to be ignored and treated with disdain as no doubt you are bringing trouble and are just another worker, perceived to be overpaid. Short-haul is perceived as bus-driving.
My mates, for a legacy carrier, still have the glamour. They are taking an a/c + 00's of pax across the world. It is still seen as responsible, if easier than it was. Skippers do seem to have more sway when preparing a 'heavy' for a 15 hour flight than a little puddle jumper doing 90min sectors. My mate takes his golf clubs, kite surfer, paraglider etc., to the destinations he's bid for, and enjoys a couple of days R&R down route, having spent a few hours in the bunk en-route to get there. That is the glamour, IMHO, that one thinks of. It's still there, but the stop overs can be less than they were. Much will depend on the union agreements and will only be found in the legacy carriers. I used to fly charter to Caribbean, under old Italian FTL's, that gave us 22hrs off. Utterly knackering. My union mates enjoyed somewhat longer.
The glamour can still be there, just more difficult to find. Flogging the oceans for hours on end might be glamorous if you are an aviation/meteorology nut, but can also be deadly boring. Bring back the sextant/protractor/dividers and plotting chart and give you something to do, and perhaps the 'sense of achievement' might return.