PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Calculating Demand
View Single Post
Old 10th Apr 2018, 05:06
bycrewlgw

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AirlineTycoon
About 10 years ago I started writing a airline simulation game for fun. However marriage, babies and a few other personal things got in the way.

Over the past couple of months I've been tapping away and some aspects of this again.

One of the original issues I had and still face is calculating demand between two ports.

In real life there are so many factors that writing logic for all of these will be complex and although I'd like to continuously improve the logic it's impracticable to include everything at this stage.

So my question is how can I start to narrow it down.

I've played with:

Population and Origin - Destination. Have a distance calculation so the further apart they are the lower the demand.

For example, LAX-NYC vs TYO-NYC. Similar sizes in a way but because TYO is further away it's got lower demand.

International v Domestic also factors into it.

But, how to I lower if for Chinese cities for example. Based on population i could fly into also ever cities in China 5 times a day.

Also, some places have small populations. Fiji for example. It's all inbound tourists. Based on locals i'd only fly a ATR-42 in there.

Any thoughts would be good.
Look at affluence too. You can have cities of infinite population but if they can’t afford to fly then demand will be lower.