PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dick Smith initiated change to the Civil Aviation Act....
Old 9th Apr 2018, 22:55
Sandy Reith

Received 79 Likes on 37 Posts
Failed tactic?

Originally Posted by Lead Balloon
I agree.

My point is that, in parallel with that demonstrably failed tactic, Dick could focus his energies on the tactic that is most likely to get results. I’ve led him to the water...
“Failed tactic?” I think the picture is far more complex, will we ever achieve every ideal and are those ideals shared by all?
The amount of publicity adverse to current aviation policy, especially from the Oz, is many times increased thanks in great measure to the efforts of Dick Smith and many others.
There’s a build up of knowledge within the aviation community, and change of attitude towards such critical areas such as independent instructors and medical requirements. CASA is actually moving to reforms in the AVMED space. Without GA pushing no such movement would be likely.
Its very important to get our philosophies right, to assert our freedom to fly and to change the notion that we have to have micro management by our betters (the “Crown”). We now see that there must be change to the way government administers aviation.
All of this is necessary background to a reset in our own collective attitude to the basics. Part of this is to put aside all sorts of pet theories about the minutiae of flying, to recognise that simple rules work and we rely on proven techniques by experienced people to further and improve aviation in all it’s variations.
True we haven’t yet achieved game changing reform, but the only absolute failure would be giving up the fight.

Last edited by Sandy Reith; 9th Apr 2018 at 22:57. Reason: Typo