PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - India Seek New Fighter - Again
View Single Post
Old 9th Apr 2018, 17:13
Genghis the Engineer

Received 48 Likes on 24 Posts
I was involved in a bid for a single special purpose aeroplane to India recently, can't say it left me with a deep desire to do it again!

The Indians to my mind, failed at the first hurdle - they simply didn't understand the task in the first place themselves. They had a handful of people running around the world looking at other people's kit, put together a totally unrealistic wishlist of all the best things other countries who had massive competent infrastructure to support it had, and wanted them all to go on a smaller lighter aeroplane than anybody else was using.

And they wanted it fixed price, with a large deposit up front from all bidders, not returnable until the tenders were all settled and awarded.

It was never going to succeed - the British company I was working out pulled out and, whilst it might have been very rewarding to do, I don't blame them at-all.

This will create years of pain for a lot of people!

In the meantime, HAL in Bangalore have a light combat aircraft prototyped and flying, and this apparently isn't in the running? Odd.

G