PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Spitfire Mark 1a replica - with a few differences
Old 9th Apr 2018, 15:05
KenV

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Beez51
Big block Chev engine not small block. Rocker covers are too wide for small block and Merlin are a supplier of aftermarket blocks and heads. Look like cast iron heads since they are painted. 500cu in plus. Good luck with the reduction gearbox. Great therapy to build but I'll go sick if I'm asked to test fly.
In retrospect, you appear to be right. The rocker covers not only appear too wide for a small block, but also appear to have three retaining screws on top and four on the bottom, which is unique to the Chevy big block. And the scary part is that all the big-block Chevy aero engine suppliers I could find used aluminum heads, not cast iron. So it appears that he's using an automotive version of the engine. Certainly a much cheaper option, but is it certifiable? And even if he got it certified, how long would it last in an aero application before it blew or needed overhaul? Looks like yet another short cut that may bite this fine craftsman in the end.