PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Has the glamour gone...
View Single Post
Old 9th Apr 2018, 14:56
mustangsally

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My side of the story, started in college, lived rent free in a farm house and when the farmer needs extra hands during harvest times we provided the manual labor. Our little town put in an airport and the FBO asked if I would mow the runways and such, and maybe pump so gas. He then offered to teach me to fly, love at first touch down. From there to the military and then a large 121 operation. Was a minimum of around twelve or more years to the left seat. Then that company went under, next came a offer to fly for a rich Saudi. Spent better part of three years flying the world as part observer of the rich and not so famous. Then an upstart logistics company, with a couple of classic 747's. Surprise, I finished my career there.

Early on it was all basic flying skills, a lot of hand flying and such. As the years went by, we became key board operators, load the route, taxi out, lift off, gear up, auto pilot on. Program the decent and confirm the approach is loaded on final, runway insight, click the autopilot off and land. Frequently I would hand fly up to flight level and maybe for another five or ten minutes, all the while enjoying a hot cup of tea. When I request the autopilot engaged you could feel the rest of the crew let out a breath. I enjoyed the art of hand flying.
Today, I have an old Champ in the hangar and enjoy flying once more. Did have to add some modern stuff, just to meet the minimums, but would love just to get back to needle ball and airspeed. Now that is flying that I enjoy.