PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Robinson helicopters added to safety watchlist
Old 9th Apr 2018, 12:28
Thomas coupling

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I guess what the 'fraternity' is saying is that ALL 'normal' helicopters which had their achilles heels - have been either engineered out or safeguarded in such a way that a particular model continues to be produced and the symptoms rarely if ever manifest themselves again.

BUT the Robbo has been with us now for 38 years and STILL it has that allegedly inherent ability to KILL mostly unsuspecting pilots but also some very highly qualified pilots due predominently because of its mast bumping inadequacies.
And the reason why 'Frank' can/t/won't engineer the problem out is because it would no longer be a Robbo! It would cost a lot more and behave differently - which would take away the reason for its existence.
Build 'em cheap, sell 'em cheap and hope the attrition rate is accepted by industry (which it obviously is, in most operating areas).

I can't think of another manufacturer who has his own Safety Course - to bring the inadequacies of the aircraft customers are flying around in - to their attention.

I buy a cheap and cheerful car - I don't want to go back to school to understand that what I bought is 'maybe' a handful in certain circumstances and the wheels might come off .....especially when my family are involved.