PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Grim Reaper strikes again
View Single Post
Old 9th Apr 2018, 12:18
jimjim1

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by J.O.
... a terrible corner to pull a “roll through”. There’s a stand of trees that completely blocks ...
There is a high resolution image here -

http://www.macleans.ca/wp-content/up...-bus-crash.jpg

Their bus was travelling northbound on Highway 35, which has a speed limit of 100 km/h. It would have had the right-of-way as it crossed Highway 335.

A semi-trailer travelling west along the 335 would have approached a stop sign and a flashing red warning light before the crossing."

But, for reasons that remain unclear, the truck and bus collided around 5 p.m. CST.[1]
Looks like bus caught the tail of the cab in a T-bone thing (cab rear fairing bent) and then went under the first trailer. Trailer chassis rail is very severely mangled, these are not flimsy, I imagine that you could pound on it with a hammer and not make a dent. Compare with rail of second trailer which seems to be of identical construction.

Bus left hand skin is severely bent to the left at front.

No "rolling through" I wouldn't have thought. Quite fast.

Was daylight - Sunset 19:30 CST, crash 17:00 CST

Discussion of previous and recent crash in [1].

Doesn't seem to be a "school bus" as has been mentioned, Charlie's Charters.

In the UK since 2001, other than urban buses, all buses/coaches have seat belts and they are required to be used. Few people bother though. Bus crashes are pretty rare I seem to recall although I can't find any numbers right now.

[1] Crash that killed 15 prompts calls for more safety at small-town crossing | CBC News