PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot experience reduced by flight automation
Old 9th Apr 2018, 05:48
LeadSled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In the airline that LS came from I was once told by a sim checkie that he would report me to the Chief Pilot unless I stated that I would fly totally by reference to the FD. I had stated that I always look through the FD when manually flying.
Lookleft,
There you go, lack of standardization. In the setups in the B747-200/200, if you didn't "look through" the FD display and at the raw data, and suitably anticipate, when hand flying you would always be "behind the aeroplane".

And that is exactly what was most commonly taught/recommended. However, I will admit that there was always a very small proportion of Check and Training Captains who had some very strange ideas. I could almost name who you are talking about, a real "outlier". And very ordinary stick and rudder man, himself.

The FD setup on the original B707-138 was, by all accounts almost useless, most preferred to leave it off, I can't speak from experience there.

Most B707-300/320 I operated had Collins FD-108, lovely device.

Once we got to "digital" aeroplanes, B767/744, we were still stuck with "split cue" but it didn't have the issues of the "classics".

And, yes, always Boeing, but I really don't see that that has anything to do with the importance of maintaining a proficient scan ---- have you seen the recommended endorsement syllabus for the A350??

Tootle pip!!

PS: Derfred,
The whole point of having a well practiced and competent scan is so that you have the capacity to do all the other things you have to do, that you are not so busy keeping the shiny side up, and the speed and altitude as required, that you wind up with almost tunnel vision.

PS2: Derfred, re. post #30, you left out the short handled broom.

Last edited by LeadSled; 9th Apr 2018 at 06:05. Reason: PS added. typo.