PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PPL NAV cockpit calculations
View Single Post
Old 8th Apr 2018, 22:55
POBJOY

Received 79 Likes on 27 Posts
KISS

JO There are some items that 'have' to be complied with as part of your CAA approved training. Your instructor has to follow this system which will include how you are supposed to navigate. In practice there is very little scope to use 'gadgets' in a solo flown exercise as your time should be spent flying the aircraft, looking out, and monitoring the engines health. To that end Nav MUST BE KEPT SIMPLE and indeed I suggest that in these days of cluttered airspace, choke points, and expanding 'controlled' airspace, the simpler the better.
To that end I suggest choice of route can be looked at to avoid potential problems and remember 'Radio Work' does not really decrease workload so that may be a consideration when route planning. Also ensure your basic kit is serviceable compass/DI**, and ALWAYS do a double check when you line up on the departing runway. If you have some latitude in choice of turning points do so with the mind set of 'will it show up well in haze' or are there some good 'pointers' before I get there. Remember this is not a competition to make flying difficult it should be a PRACTICAL way of going somewhere, and being confident in knowing where you are all of the time. As you gain experience this will get easier, but the modern PPL course has got more demanding as regulations change so give yourself 'an edge' and adopt a system that works for you and delivers the results.
** If you fly multiple club machines the equipment will differ in each one, so ensure you are using the correct deviation information, and check that the DI is not wandering, and keep it set as required.