PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chief of the Defence Staff goes all PC
View Single Post
Old 8th Apr 2018, 19:18
heights good

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Old-Duffer
The services already suffer badly from the complaints procedure, which is regularly used to dispute lawful commands or to try to get 'revenge' when things don't go the way the complainant wants. The management of complaints is one of the few 'growth' industries within Defence and it would be interesting to know the numbers of personnel and their ranks who are involved in the management of the process and its cost to the Defence budget

Old Duffer
I must disagree, whilst there are undoubtedly abuses, these are weeded out fairly quickly.

The SC procedure is a fantastic system, albeit with some faults, however I have personally seen around 20 victories that were just, correct and prevented a dangerous precedent being set. 2 of these were my own, the first was the Chf Clk refusing to reimburse me for a long weekend abroad after a short notice deployment came up.

She refused to accept I had no knowledge of the det prior to booking my flights abroad. You see, I didnt have proof of me not knowing i didnt know anything... I kid you not! It turned out there were around 10 similar claims in the previous 18 months she had refused.

The second was a simple case of a 1RO who had mentally left the RAF and couldn’t be bothered putting even a token effort into my report. He had added great grades and words but nothing to join then up with any sensible structure. 2RO was too scared of rocking the boat but did write a great report. Long story short, previous reports from the 1RO over the previous few yrs were looked at and the problem was rectified.

I would have been £650 out of pocket and missed a promotion had I not had any other avenue to explore.