PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATCO Shortage UK
View Single Post
Old 8th Apr 2018, 15:37
2 sheds

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I worked for NATS for a period during that time too - I think you need to have a think about what short-staffed means. If there was a shortage, I would not have expected all those EGs, LCs and gash days - but there were plenty about - and normal working was 2 on, 2 off in many cases. That said, it is a different world now with rules on maximum working periods that are strictly enforced, and the bar to enter and stay in the profession much higher than it was. All these rules introduced in the name of safety, with little if anything demonstrable to show any improvement in safety, but certainly constraining the supply of controllers available in the market.
In many other cases, the four-watch system (3 duties in four days) was worked to its full extent, a disgraceful practice IMO. It may be difficult to show empirical evidence of improvement in safety as a direct result of SRATCOH but it only takes a little knowledge and thought to see how essential such regulation is - all credit to those involved in developing the regulation of working hours, all of whom did a thorough, logical and professional job.

2 s