PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot experience reduced by flight automation
Old 8th Apr 2018, 13:07
Derfred

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Lookleft
This is what the sim checkie didn't understand at LS airline.
Yes, well, just because someone anointed them “checkie” doesn’t suddenly magically fill them with all of God’s wisdom, despite what some of them may think... we are fortunate to have a lot of great checkie’s at my airline, with a few guaranteed exceptions of course. In these kind of situations, most will offer input from experience as “opinion only”, and you can take it or leave it. Different if you’ve breached a hard policy for no reason of course.

The other fantastic thing at my airline is that they have actually moved from “checking” to “training”. They started it about 15 years ago by renaming Senior Check Captains to Training Captains, but then nothing else much changed. But a few years ago they actually started doing it, and it’s going great, according to both line pilots and trainers.

For example, this year, I’ve done a Sim involving about an hour of hand flying with no airspeed indicators, to landing (attitude and thrust for an hour, and you learn to trust attitude and thrust, best of all). And another one involving about an hour of hand flying with no hydraulics, to landing (better than a workout at the gym). They are both very challenging exercises. This kind of thing has never been done in recurrent Sim sessions before, so I think QF are really getting their act together on this subject.

Last edited by Derfred; 8th Apr 2018 at 13:45.