PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Robinson helicopters added to safety watchlist
Old 8th Apr 2018, 11:53
FlimsyFan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by [email protected]
Not really limitations - no limits on speed, angle of bank or AUM.

Which other manufacturer has to run a safety course for its helicopter?
As usual, watching the Robbo bashing from the sidelines...

I think that’s a fair question, but I reckon it says more about the pilots than the helicopters.

There’s a very high percentage of amateur pilots in Robbis, often people not used to being told ‘No’, often people expecting a positive outcome in spite of the circumstances, and sometimes people flying an aircraft with other things on their mind.

I don’t have the facts to hand, but imagine the bigger, more expensive stuff has a pro behind the stick more often than not.

I have done the Robinson course and found it very enlightening. Much of the message is about Airmanship and is transferable across any platform. Remember that by far the biggest killer in Robbis, despite the mast bumping issue, is flight in DVE. Decision making by amateur pilots is frequently very, very poor. The nature of the course has most certainly underlined for me the risks that human factors will expose you to.

That said, I fear that the basic messages from the course are most needed by those who feel they don’t need to do the course in the first place. And yes, that includes the one about how distracting passengers can be