PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot experience reduced by flight automation
Old 8th Apr 2018, 11:35
Derfred

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nothing like a manually flown asymmetric raw data NDB approach from over the aid with no map or DME or GPS, just timing from the aid, turn inbound, get visual at MDA in minimum visibility, at night, with constant wind changes during the approach, then circle to land, do a missed approach, then do the whole thing again to get in.

If they put that in the Sim, most airlines would have to ground all their pilots overnight and teach them how to fly again.

Yet, that’s the kind of thing we had to do to get a multi IFR rating a long time ago. I doubt I could do it now without a fair bit of practice.

Is it relevant today? Probably not, but there is no doubt a pilot’s hands-on skill isn’t what it used to be.

It isn’t just about the scan, it’s about being able to scan, fly, and think simultaneously, while monitoring the radio, radar, remembering checklists, and whatever else is going on. That means you have to be good enough to scan and fly manually while leaving enough brain capacity for everything else. That takes practice.

The trouble is, practicing raw data hand flying in complex or busy situations DOES increase the risk factor, so it isn’t recommended. Save that for the Sim, and do your aircraft manual flying practice in appropriate conditions only.

Incidently, I have noticed that QF are increasing their manual flying practice in the simulators, pleasingly.

As for looking “through” the flight director, certainly on a B737, it is a great idea. You aren’t contributing much to your skills if you just blindly follow a flight director. A flight director will quite happily fly you into the ground, or into a stall, or whatever. Keep your scan up, and you can anticipate any required control inputs before the flight director knows anything about it. A flight director is reactive. A good pilot can be proactive. Fantastic for keeping your skills up, but good to have the flight director there in case you do accidently go soaring through that altitude limit or that heading or that localiser intercept.

It’s all about maintaining awareness. A good pilot knows their attitude, thrust, speed, alitude, and vertical speed at all times. The flight director doesn’t tell you that. Only a scan can. Then with sufficient brain space remaining you can monitor position, weather, radio, fuel remaining, options and intentions - i.e. still stay ahead of the aircraft.