PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Toxic Cabin Air/Aerotoxic Syndrome
View Single Post
Old 8th Apr 2018, 10:03
RetiredBA/BY

Received 45 Likes on 17 Posts
Oil toxicity

A good friend, a 757/767 captain lost his licence some years ago with a definite diagnosis , by the CAA docs. of OP poisoning. I also lost my licence sometime before that, when I, too, was a 75/76 captain and had been flying a RR powered 75 which was using a little more oil than usual in the left engine, the bleed from which feeds the pack used for the flight deck air conditioning. My problem, neurological , was identified but the source / cause of my slightly abnormal eeg, in the left temporal lobe was not ? OP, who knows, but I have my suspicion.

Now long retired I fly large model aircraft powered by gas turbine engines, into the fuel for which, I use JetA1, is mixed turbine oil at 5% and is burned as total loss. The exhaust has a distinctive odour. After OP awareness I have always handled the oils with great care and avoid exhaust fumes during ground running.

However, I was recently made aware of a turbine oil called Turbonycoil 600 which does NOT contain TCP, is approved for very many full-size engines by all three of the big manufacturers for a wide range of engines including the RB211, and is , I am told, the ONLY turbine oil used by the US Navy.

So why is this oil not being used more extensively in civil aviation, removing the OP problem at a stroke?

Last edited by RetiredBA/BY; 8th Apr 2018 at 10:28.