PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A Little Gem from CASA Experts
View Single Post
Old 8th Apr 2018, 08:23
Lead Balloon

Received 425 Likes on 212 Posts
The question is whether running lean at high power will cause detonation. The hard facts are the manufacturer has demonstrated to the certifying authority that the engine does not detonate at the recommended power and mixture settings. At some point above those power settings the engine will begin to detonate if you lean far enough. And yes, I do know that if you lean even further it may stop detonating, but that is because the power would begin to drop again.
Oggers

All mixtures are ‘lean’.

Running 25C rich of peak is ‘leaner’ than running 100C rich of peak.

Running 25C rich of of peak at high power is more likely to cause detonation than running 25C lean of peak at high power.

THAT IS WHY THE CAUSAL CONNECTION BETWEEN DETONATION AND LEAN OF PEAK OPERATIONS DRAWN BY THE AWB IS UTTER BOLLOCKS. The mixture settings that will always create the greatest risk of detonation are rich of peak.

Do you know what mixture settings were used on the Whyalla Airlines aircraft?

Your engine is NOT certified to make TBO at any setting.
No ****? I’ll write that down somewhere. What I actually said was:
My engine is certified to run at maximum rated power, continuously, to TBO.
That statement is true.

You need to understand (or forgot to note) the meaning of “maximum rated power”.

I could, if I were stupid enough, drag more than the maximum rated power out of my engine by leaning the mixture to around 25C rich of peak after take off at sea level on an ISA day with full throttle and maximum RPM. However, I’m not that stupid.

And as I said, contemporary measurements show that some certified engines detonate at recommended power and mixture settings.