PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The timing of the parade flypast
View Single Post
Old 8th Apr 2018, 06:52
BEagle

Received 271 Likes on 110 Posts
Back in the late '80s, we were tasked to give a flypast at the sqn's WW2 memorial at Boxbergheide in Belgium. Simple enough - depart Wildenrath, stay at low level and run in from an IP in Germany from the direction of Geilenkirchen. But this was through 3 different nations each with different LL minima. No GPS back then, so finding the IP and leaving it to make good the ToT was down to the navigator, then we'd do a good old 50 thou map run to the memorial. The only problem was that it was very difficult to spot at low level. On the first run all was going well; the co-pilot was flying whilst I did the map reading. Slightly late, I called for an increase in speed and the engineer obliged. Finally I saw the target, but just then the high speed horn warning sounded and I noticed that the co-pilot was finding the controls rather heavy! Power to idle and we shot overhead at 250 ft (ish) and rather quickly for a VC10K. It seem that the engineer ('Lightning Leo' for those who remember) had shoved the throttles forward and then peered out for the target, forgetting to hold the requested speed.

We were asked to do another run, so duly obliged. This time at about 180 KIAS with take-off flap, then full chat just before reaching to folks and flags.

Back at the hotel, the Boss (who'd been at the salute) was ecstatic! He said that the first run had been most impressive, but the quiet purr of 4 Conways at max chat the second time "Nearly caused the woman next to me to have a baby!" as he put it - it was, apparently, rather loud!

Great fun. flypast. Then there was my 'sunset ceremony' one at Brize which was still being talked about many years later - "I learned about QNH from that!"....