PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bankstown History and Nostalgia
View Single Post
Old 8th Apr 2018, 05:43
sms777

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
That's more like it. Good on you dhpilot for a sensible thread....
I came into the Bankstown picture fairly late around 1990 after spending lots of time hanging out at Parafield dreaming about growing a pair of wings. I was the last commercial pilot graduating at the Royal Aero Club at Bankstown. The best hang out was the fully licensed club house overlooking the threshold of 11. Plenty schooners and games of pool after hours. The grass parking was littered with all sorts of historic machines, some has grown roots over the years. There was a little yellow Sia Marchetti in amongst the which was flown over from England by a friend of mine. He was kind enough to let me loose on it several times but after two forced landings I politely told him to stick it somewhere the sun don't shine and I stick to my American built muscle......a year later I bought one of the historic machines that has been growing roots on the field.....a Queenair.
Statistics say the birth rate has dropped dramatically under Bankstown airspace after I started flying it and ten years later returned to normal after I stopped......Funny about that....