PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Canadian CF-18 down, pilot sadly lost
View Single Post
Old 7th Apr 2018, 20:11
Bob Viking

Received 571 Likes on 160 Posts
Makes my blood boil.

I normally don’t pass judgment publically on cases like this. However, this one really bugs me. I know (knew) both pilots involved in this story. I taught both of them.

When I was the Stds O on 419 I highlighted to the Boss of the Sqn that unless the RCAF was going to do low level properly they shouldn’t do it at all. That includes LLAT. My example was that, as an experienced low level operator, I was uncomfortable being inverted at low level (LLAT allows this, indeed a 15 degree, vertical jink with no delay would see you inverted pulling towards the ground at about 700’. When doing VJs I always asked my student to do at least 20 up with a 2-3 second delay! The RAF, which is widely acknowledged to be a pretty competent low level force, or at least was, would string me up for being inverted at low level).

LLAT gives people false confidence and merely serves to fool the hierarchy into thinking their pilots have retained a modicum of low level ability for an extremely unlikely future need. When it is the only low level you do (2 LLAT trips a year does not make you competent) I think it’s blatantly ridiculous.

In this particular accident there were two relatively junior, single-seat pilots doing low level, co-op des’ below a 900’ cloudbase. Back in the day that would have given even experienced RAF Jaguar/Harrier pilots pause for thought.

I am not placing the blame at the feet of the two pilots. I place it squarely at the feet of whoever allowed this situation to develop. Even if the weather had been good enough why do the RCAF Hornet force still even have stocks of Mk83s to drop?! Also, LGBs don’t need to be dropped at low level. Especially from that sort of profile.

The RCAF are not a low level force and haven’t been for years. To reiterate, from the mildly informed view of a JO pilot, if you’re not going to do low level properly, then don’t do it at all. Ditch LLAT and stop pretending.

Sorry if this post makes me unpopular and I realise others will potentially take issue with it.

Rant over. RIP Tom.

BV